What does it mean for students?
Enquiry-based learning supports students to be...
- responsible for deciding what they learn and how they learn it
- inquisitive and curious about things that they experience in their everyday lives
- able to pose problems, ask questions, and recognise issues that they would like to explore
- able to develop an understanding that knowledge changes over time as people challenge, shape and contribute to it
- confident that they too can challenge, shape and contribute to knowledge
- aware that there are always multiple perspectives for looking at, analysing and understanding things
- able to propose solutions to problems and questions, and to know how to pursue these solutions.
“It's about doing what you're interested in, researching what you want, what you like.”Student
“When you're doing your own research it goes faster than in a different lesson.”Student
“I didn't want to stop doing it because it's really good and you do learn a lot from it.”Student
“I think sometimes you just sort of think, ‘Oh what am I going to do now?’ but if you actually look at the questions you can think of about a million more to ask.”Student